“You Always Call on a Sunday”

The March issue of The Sun, with my essay, “You Always Call on a Sunday” is out in mailboxes and stores. I’m really tickled (and, I confess, proud) about this publication. This essay is an expansion of the first piece I had published, at MARY, a small online literary journal. I always wished it had a wider publication and so awhile back, I sent it off to The Sun. Then I heard back from one of their wonderful manuscript readers, Paula Jolin. One thing led to another and they accepted it. All along the way, they’ve been kind and thoughtful in how they’ve handled this essay, which deals with me having been raped when I was a college student.

The issue will be out soon. You can look here for a bookstore near you that carries The Sun. Or you can purchase a copy online (March issue #411). Better yet, purchase a yearly subscription. I have one and every month the essays, fiction, and poems are worth it. I hope readers think mine is too.

10 Responses to ““You Always Call on a Sunday””

1. Margie Borchers says:

Thank you Jackie for enriching our gathering of “The Sun” readers on Saturday, March 27th. I reread your “telling” when I returned home that day. Your fine literary close-to-the-bone writing reminds me of Mary Karr’s memoirs. Well done!!
    Margie from Vancouver, WA

2. Geoff Sanders says:

Dear Jackie,

Upon first reading your piece I thought it was fiction. I was amazed when I learned that it was a full-on counterattack on an actual atrocity. Your piece beautifully represents the slogan of The Sun, Viktor Frankl’s words: “What is to give light must endure burning.”

3. Jackie:

I just finished reading your story in the March issue of the Sun. That such beautiful writing could rise from the ashes of such a harrowing experience speaks to your strength and resilience. You are very brave (and also have a new fan).

Best, and keep on writing, Jackie.

Warmly,
    Hannah

4. Jen Gresham says:

Oh, I should have left my note here. The essay was terrific and The Sun is the perfect place for it. Glad to have read it.

5. Jackie says:

Ed,

Awww… you… Thanks. I love it that Manzanita has The Sun.

Jackie

6. Jackie says:

Andy,

Thank you for your comment and also for passing my essay on to your friend. She’s lucky to have a friend who is so aware of her story and, it sounds like, gives her room to have it be in the light of day.

Jackie

7. Ed says:

Jackie,

What an awesome piece of writing about such a terrible thing. I was so glad the little magazine/coffee shop had a copy of The Sun. The admiration for my sis-in-law only keeps growing..

love ya,
    ed

8. Andrij says:

Jackie

What a touching and moving piece! So clearly illustrates the psychic damage that’s left on a victim of rape. The numbness of ‘did this really happen to me,’ looking at the world with different eyes, was so palpable.

I’m a subscriber, so I read it in the 411 Issue. I’m going to lend it to a friend who’d been raped in her 20s. Now in her 50s, she just got a degree in Social Work and plans to work with rape victims. I know she will love your story.

Thank you for writing it.

9. Jackie says:

Kate,

What a wonderful note. A writer, sends a story off, it goes out there. It’s really good to hear from someone who read it and was moved. Especially for this story. Thank you for taking the time to write.

Jackie

10. Kate Small says:

Dear Jackie,

I just finished your essay in the Sun. Wow. Wow.Wow. I’m stunned. It moved me so. Such a powerful, lovely voice. It grabbed me, and held me, and I couldn’t put the piece down. I loved where the piece ended. Your posse.

I’m so sorry that you were raped.

Kate Small